Global stocks prices closed flat and bond yields edged lower on Wednesday after U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell soothed investor angst by saying a recent inflation spike will fade, helping lift the S&P 500 to a fresh intraday record.
Powell said in congressional testimony that high inflation was for goods and services tied to the reopening and the U.S. economy was “still a ways off” from levels the Fed wanted to see before tapering its stimulus support.
Powell’s remarks relieved investors who were concerned inflation data would prompt the Fed to signal the beginning of tapering, said Michael Arone, chief investment strategist at State Street (NYSE:STT) Global Advisors in Boston.
U.S. producer prices surged in June to the largest annual gain in more than 10-1/2 years, the Labor Department said. A day earlier, it said consumer prices rose by the most in 13 years.
“Both the CPI yesterday and the PPI today came in considerably above expectations and signaled that inflation continues to run hot,” Arone said. “Even in the face of that Powell has stood steadfast.”
The yield on the 10-year Treasury note slid 6.6 basis points to 1.3492%, the dollar eased and stocks on Wall Street rose, though gains were pared at the close of trading.
MSCI’s all-country world equity index close slightly lower, down 0.03% at 726.09, after earlier matching Tuesday’s record intra-day high of 728.77. The broad pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index slid 0.1% to close at 1777.58, just below Tuesday’s record high.
- Oil Dips on Delta Concerns; Bitcoin OptimismOil dips amidst Delta concerns ahead of the U.S. Inventory data release. Bitcoin may reach new all-time highs. Oil Dips on Delta Concerns Ahead of U.S. Inventory Data Release WTIP:71.91A:71.97 BRENTP:73.71A:73.80 Renewed social restrictions in some countries are also posing a threat to fuel consumption and demand for oil. Bitcoin To Reach New All-Time Highs, […]
- Stock Futures Update: S&P500, Nasdaq and Dow JonesStock futures are lower after major averages snap five-day winning streakU.S. stock index futures fell during overnight trading on Tuesday after the major averages pulled back from record highs, snapping a five-day winning streak. Futures contracts tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 55 points, or 0.16%. S&P 500 futures were down 0.14%, while […]
- Market Recap: WallStreet, US Dollar, Crude Oil, and GoldHere’s a market recap on what’s been happening around the world financial market. US dollar, Dow Jones, S&P500, Crude Oil, and more. On Wall Street, the Dow Jones, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite fell about 0.6%, 1% and 1.9% respectively. This is as the FTSE 100 and DAX 30 weakened 1.6% and 0.9% respectively. In Japan, the Nikkei 225 managed to hold a 0.2% gain. The […]
- Bitcoin Price Surge; While Oil SlumpsBitcoin Price to surge to $157,000 after pullback ends, says on-chain Analyst Willy Woo. Oil slumps as market ignore U.S. draw to focus on UAE ‘No-Deal’ P: 32,575A: 32,983.0 +408.0 +1.25% This is a bull market. There’s no mistaking this. We’ve got X-ray vision of what the investors are doing, and it’s bullish whilst the […]
- Stocks Rebound, Yields Fall as Fed’s Powell Soothes MarketGlobal stocks prices closed flat and bond yields edged lower on Wednesday after U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell soothed investor angst by saying a recent inflation spike will fade, helping lift the S&P 500 to a fresh intraday record. Powell said in congressional testimony that high inflation was for goods and services tied to […]