The first full week of October promises several significant data releases and events over the next few days, including the September US NFP report on Friday.
AUD RESERVE BANK OF AUSTRALIA RATE DECISION
At the start of October, according to Australia overnight index swaps, there is a 28% chance of a 25-bps rate hike through the end of the year – an insignificant change.
The RBA had previously pledged that it would keep rates at their current level or lower for three years starting in March 2020.
NZD RESERVE BANK OF NEW ZEALAND RATE DECISION
Data emerging that New Zealand COVID-19 infections jumped to their highest level since June, markets are quickly downgrading their expectations that the RBNZ will raise rates when it meets in the coming days.
According to overnight index swaps for New Zealand, there is an 81% chance of a 25-bps rate hike when the RBNZ meets on Wednesday.
MXN INFLATION RATE (SEP)
According to a Bloomberg News survey, the September Mexican inflation rate (CPI) is expected to show a jump deceleration to +5.99% from +5.59% (y/y).
CAD EMPLOYMENT CHANGE & UNEMPLOYMENT RATE (SEP)
Following two blistering hot jobs reports in July and August, the Canadian labor market will show further signs of moderation in September. According to a Bloomberg News survey, consensus forecasts are looking for a still-solid reading of +65K
USD NONFARM PAYROLLS & UNEMPLOYMENT RATE (SEP)
The main issue for the US Dollar when it comes to the September US Nonfarm Payrolls report is whether or not the US labor market regained its momentum after a surprisingly weak August reading that came in at +235K (versus expectations closer to +650K).
- Markets to Watch This Week: Nasdaq 100, US Dollar,BoJ and moreThere continued to be hesitancy in global market sentiment. Wall Street started off 2022 on a sour note, though the second week was less painful. Nasdaq 100 futures were little changed. This is as Dow Jones and S&P 500 futures declined about 0.8% and 0.3% respectively. European and Asia-Pacific benchmark stock indices did not fare any better. Global monetary policy tightening […]
- Market Week Ahead: Inflation Data, Bitcoin, Powell Testimony, and moreEven though market sentiment started off 2022 on a sour note, there were clear winners and losers on Wall Street. Dow Jones futures declined about 0.1% this past week, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 sank about 4.35% in the worst performance since February. The coming week will bring closely followed inflation figures, while Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell […]
- Market Week Ahead: Monetary Policy Meeting, Retail Sales, etc.The broad US dollar remained under pressure on Friday and will end this week on a bearish note as investors digest the Bank of England’s (BOE) unexpected interest rate hike and the European Central Bank’s (ECB) shift to a more hawkish attitude. Looking ahead to the coming week, the series of retail sales, the minutes of the […]
- Markets Week Ahead: Nasdaq 100, US Dollar, Gold, Euro, British Pound, Fed and moreMarket mood recovered this past week around the world. On Wall Street, the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 gained 3.82% and 3.65% respectively. Across the Atlantic, the Euro Stoxx 50 and FTSE 100 climbed 2.95% and 2.62% respectively. In the Asia-Pacific region, the Nikkei 225 climbed 0.89% while Australia’s ASX 200 jumped 4.05%. Volatility was crushed, with the VIX market ‘fear gauge’ sinking about 39% in the worst week […]
- Market Week Ahead: Omicron Concerns, Inflation Data, CryptoDevelopments around the Omicron coronavirus variant will continue to be the main driver of market sentiment in the week ahead and this news flow, together with a hawkish turn by the Federal Reserve, means Friday’s inflation data will be in the spotlight. Inflation Data The highlight of the economic calendar will be Friday’s November consumer […]