The Federal Reserve meeting will be the highlight of the coming week and while no change is expected officials are likely to hint that they are moving closer to scaling back stimulus measures.
Besides the Fed meeting, the U.S. economic calendar is light, with mostly updates on the housing market and some earnings.
Federal Reserve Meeting
The Fed will begin its two-day policy meeting starting Tuesday ahead of its policy announcement on Wednesday afternoon
Data on housing starts and building permits data are due out on Tuesday, followed by figures on existing home sales on Wednesday and data on new home sales is due for release on Friday.
Market watchers will also be looking at Thursday’s report on initial jobless claims
Wednesday’s Fed policy announcement will be the main directional driver for equity markets in the coming week. September, traditionally a weak month for the stock market, has so far seen the S&P 500 slip almost 2%.
Central Bank Meetings
The Bank of Japan, which also meets on Tuesday and Wednesday, is widely expected to keep policy steady.
The Bank of England is unlikely to change policy at its Thursday meeting but may indicate whether it still views inflation as transitory.
- Market Update Today: US Earnings and BitcoinS&P 500 Slips as Bulls Keep Powder Dry Ahead of Earnings, Inflation Dow Jones P – 34,496.06 A – 34378.34 -11.72 (-0.34%) S&P 500 4361.86 A – 4350.64 – 10.55 (-0.24%) NASDAQ P – 14486.2 A – 14465..90 – 20.30 (-0.14 Apple, meanwhile, said it plans to launch an event on Oct. 18, during which […]
- Market Update Today: Forex Pairs, Gold and OilDollar hits one-year high as U.S. yields rise, inflation data on tap EUR/USD – Euro US Dollarp 1.1527a 1.1535 +0.0008 +0.07%GBP/USD – British Pound US Dollarp 1.3585a 1.3584 -0.0001 -0.01%USD/JPY – US Dollar Japanese Yenp 113.6a 113.56 -0.04 -0.04% The dollar hit a one-year high on Tuesday on expectations the U.S. Federal Reserve will announce […]
- Market Week Ahead: CPI Release, Crude Oil, and moreLooking ahead into the coming week, the series of economic sentiment and CPI releases, along with employment change and OPEC-JMMC meetings, could generate plenty of headlines to keep the markets on the move. The chatter surrounding the US stimulus package and geopolitical tensions will also be closely followed, as they could play a key role […]
- Market Update Today: US Dollar, Bitcoin, Oil Price, and moreDollar edges higher with Friday’s payrolls data in focus EUR/USD – Euro US DollarP: 1.1596A : 1.1600 +0.0004 +0.03% GBP/USD – British Pound US DollarP: 1.3629A: 1.3628 -0.0001 -0.01% USD/JPY – US Dollar Japanese YenP: 111.45A: 111.50 +0.05 +0.04% Traders remained circumspect ahead of key payrolls report at the end of the week that could […]
- S&P 500 Jumps as Investors Swoop In on Tech After RoutThe S&P 500 rebounded Tuesday as investors took advantage of Monday’s selloff to load up on tech stocks. The S&P 500 gained 1%, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.9% or 311 points, the Nasdaq was up 1.3%. Facebook climbed 2%, paring some of its 5% loss from Monday, after resuming service following a six-hour […]