Ahead of the week, the series of CPI and Unemployment Claims, along with the minutes of the Monetary Policy Meeting and the BOC Press Conference could drive plenty of headlines to keep the markets on the move.
The broad-based US dollar has managed to hang onto its previous bullish bias, and it should end this week on a bullish track, as market investors prefer the safe-haven assets when a risk-off market sentiment prevails.
Market Events to Watch This Week
Consumer Price Index (MoM) – Tuesday – 13:30 GMT
Consumer Price Index ex Food & Energy (MoM)
Bank of Canada Monetary Policy Report – Wednesday – 15:00 GMT
BoC Press Conference – Wednesday – 16:00 GMT
Aussie Employment Change – Thursday – 0:30 GMT
US Unemployment Claims – Thursday – 13:30 GMT
BOJ Monetary Policy Statement – Tuesday – Tentative
- Market Week Ahead: Nasdaq 100, Fed, Tech Earnings, Volatility ReturnsGlobal risk appetite sharply deteriorated this past week as the Volatility Index (VIX), which is the market’s preferred ‘fear gauge, closed at its highest since early December. The most immediate item threatening market sentiment is a hawkish Federal Reserve. A combination of quantitative tightening and rate hike bets are bringing up front-end Treasury yields, or […]
- Markets to Watch This Week: Nasdaq 100, US Dollar,BoJ and moreThere continued to be hesitancy in global market sentiment. Wall Street started off 2022 on a sour note, though the second week was less painful. Nasdaq 100 futures were little changed. This is as Dow Jones and S&P 500 futures declined about 0.8% and 0.3% respectively. European and Asia-Pacific benchmark stock indices did not fare any better. Global monetary policy tightening […]
- Market Week Ahead: Inflation Data, Bitcoin, Powell Testimony, and moreEven though market sentiment started off 2022 on a sour note, there were clear winners and losers on Wall Street. Dow Jones futures declined about 0.1% this past week, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 sank about 4.35% in the worst performance since February. The coming week will bring closely followed inflation figures, while Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell […]
- Market Week Ahead: Monetary Policy Meeting, Retail Sales, etc.The broad US dollar remained under pressure on Friday and will end this week on a bearish note as investors digest the Bank of England’s (BOE) unexpected interest rate hike and the European Central Bank’s (ECB) shift to a more hawkish attitude. Looking ahead to the coming week, the series of retail sales, the minutes of the […]
- Markets Week Ahead: Nasdaq 100, US Dollar, Gold, Euro, British Pound, Fed and moreMarket mood recovered this past week around the world. On Wall Street, the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 gained 3.82% and 3.65% respectively. Across the Atlantic, the Euro Stoxx 50 and FTSE 100 climbed 2.95% and 2.62% respectively. In the Asia-Pacific region, the Nikkei 225 climbed 0.89% while Australia’s ASX 200 jumped 4.05%. Volatility was crushed, with the VIX market ‘fear gauge’ sinking about 39% in the worst week […]