Gold Back Above $1,900 as Dollar, Yields Soften After Lackluster U.S. Jobs
P = $1,882.60 +17.8
a = $1,900.40 +3.16%
Gold had waddled in $1,800 territory since Thursday as the dollar and yields turned higher on weekly U.S. employment claims that came in at their lowest since the COVID-19 outbreak in March 2020.
“Wall Street should see investor demand improve for safe-havens such as gold, as global tax and inflation concerns intensify,” said Ed Moya, head of U.S. research at online broker OANDA. “Gold faces short-term resistance at the $1,925 level.”
Dow Jones – Previous = 34,756.39 Actual = 34,630.24 -126.15 -0.36%
S&P 500 – Previous = 4,226.52 Actual = 4,226.52 -3.37 -0.08%
NASDAQ -Previous = 13,814.49 Actual = 13,881.72 +67.23 +0.49%
S&P closes nominally lower as investors wait for a catalyst
The S&P 500 ended a languid session slightly in the red on Monday, with investors standing by on news of a global minimum corporate tax rate, lingering inflation fears, and a lack of market-moving economic news.
The Dow closed well within negative territory, while the Nasdaq advanced. Still, the S&P and the Dow remained inside one percentage point of their record closing highs.
- Market Update Today: Gold, Oil Prices and BitcoinGold Down, But Above $1800 Mark, Overfed Taper Uncertainty P: 1806.66A: 1795.51 – 11.15 – 1.24% with the weaker than expected data casting doubt on the U.S. Federal Reserve’s timeline to begin asset tapering. Investors now await the […]
- S&P 500 Snaps Losing Streak as Energy Boost Coaxes Bulls From HidingThe S&P 500 rose on Wednesday, as a red-hot rally in energy stocks paved the way for the broader market to end its streak of daily losses. The S&P 500 rose 0.9% to snap a six-day losing streak. […]
- Dollar Pairs Gain; Oil UpdateDollar pairs gains on dovish Fed speak, before ECB meeting EUR/USD – Euro US DollarP: 1.1813A: 1.1819 +0.0006 +0.05%GBP/USD – British Pound US DollarP:1.3768A: 1.3773 +0.0005 +0.04%JPY/ USDP: 110.23A: 110.24 0.01 0.00% The dollar pared gains on Wednesday […]
- Wall Street ends lower; Six of the 11 S&P 500 sector Indexes FellWall Street ends lower, weighed down by Big Tech Wall Street ended lower on Wednesday, spooked by worries that the Delta coronavirus variant could blunt the economy’s recovery and on uncertainty about when the Federal Reserve may pull […]
- Market Week Ahead: NFP Update; BoC, RBADespite a huge miss in US non-farm payrolls, where the nation added 235k jobs versus 733k expected in August, most stocks on Wall Street concluded the week higher. The tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 outperformed the S&P 500 and more cyclically-sensitive Dow Jones. Forex Update it […]