The Dow and S&P 500 fell on Tuesday, with financials and other groups closely tied to economic growth leading declines, while the Nasdaq edged higher to another closing record.
The S&P 500 banks index fell 2.5% as U.S. Treasuries rallied, with the 10-year yield hitting its lowest since Feb. 24. Data showed U.S. services industry activity grew at a moderate pace in June, likely restrained by labor and raw material shortages.
The Dow led the day’s declines. Financials sank 1.6%, the biggest weight on the S&P 500 followed by energy shares.
Adding to investor caution, a regulatory crackdown by Beijing drove a selloff in shares of several U.S.-listed Chinese firms, including Didi Global Inc.
Also, investors may be taking profits after a strong end of the quarter and a string of recent records. “It was such a good quarter-end,” he said. Now, “cyclical are really getting hit.”
The S&P 500 growth index ended up 0.5% after hitting a record high on Tuesday, while the S&P 500 value index fell 1%.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 208.98 points, or 0.6%, to 34,577.37, the S&P 500 lost 8.8 points, or 0.20%, to 4,343.54 and the Nasdaq Composite added 24.32 points, or 0.17%, to 14,663.64.
Last week, all three indexes posted their fifth consecutive quarterly gains. They scaled new highs on Friday.
On Tuesday, the Cboe Volatility Index, an options market gauge of expectations for near-term volatility, rose 1.37 points to close at 16.44, its highest close in two weeks, highlighting investors’ jangled nerves.
Didi Global shares dropped 19.6% after Chinese regulators ordered over the weekend the company’s app be taken down days after its $4.4 billion listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Other U.S.-listed Chinese e-commerce firms also fell, including Alibaba (NYSE:BABA) Group, down 2.8%, and Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU), down 5%. Declining issues outnumbered advancing ones on the NYSE by a 1.86-to-1 ratio; on Nasdaq, a 2.18-to-1 ratio favored decliners.
The S&P 500 posted 49 new 52-week highs and no new lows; the Nasdaq Composite recorded 69 new highs and 75 new lows.
Volume on U.S. exchanges was 10.12 billion shares, compared with the 10.8 billion average for the full session over the last 20 trading days.
- Oil Dips on Delta Concerns; Bitcoin OptimismOil dips amidst Delta concerns ahead of the U.S. Inventory data release. Bitcoin may reach new all-time highs. Oil Dips on Delta Concerns Ahead of U.S. Inventory Data Release WTIP:71.91A:71.97 BRENTP:73.71A:73.80 Renewed social restrictions in some countries are also posing a threat to fuel consumption and demand for oil. Bitcoin To Reach New All-Time Highs, […]
- Stock Futures Update: S&P500, Nasdaq and Dow JonesStock futures are lower after major averages snap five-day winning streakU.S. stock index futures fell during overnight trading on Tuesday after the major averages pulled back from record highs, snapping a five-day winning streak. Futures contracts tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 55 points, or 0.16%. S&P 500 futures were down 0.14%, while […]
- Market Recap: WallStreet, US Dollar, Crude Oil, and GoldHere’s a market recap on what’s been happening around the world financial market. US dollar, Dow Jones, S&P500, Crude Oil, and more. On Wall Street, the Dow Jones, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite fell about 0.6%, 1% and 1.9% respectively. This is as the FTSE 100 and DAX 30 weakened 1.6% and 0.9% respectively. In Japan, the Nikkei 225 managed to hold a 0.2% gain. The […]
- Bitcoin Price Surge; While Oil SlumpsBitcoin Price to surge to $157,000 after pullback ends, says on-chain Analyst Willy Woo. Oil slumps as market ignore U.S. draw to focus on UAE ‘No-Deal’ P: 32,575A: 32,983.0 +408.0 +1.25% This is a bull market. There’s no mistaking this. We’ve got X-ray vision of what the investors are doing, and it’s bullish whilst the […]
- Stocks Rebound, Yields Fall as Fed’s Powell Soothes MarketGlobal stocks prices closed flat and bond yields edged lower on Wednesday after U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell soothed investor angst by saying a recent inflation spike will fade, helping lift the S&P 500 to a fresh intraday record. Powell said in congressional testimony that high inflation was for goods and services tied to […]